Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sonwabile Tobi - Umzi Wethu Success Story


Sonwabile “Soso” Tobi grew up in an impoverished area of Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Raised by his grandparents, Soso did not have the funds to study at university after graduating from high school. Looking for an alternative to help support his family and younger brother, Soso came across the Umzi Wethu programme. After attending the public presentation in his local community, Soso applied to become an Umzi Wethu Student.
“At that time, I did not have any ambitions to be a chef or do anything in the hospitality industry,” says Soso. “I liked watching TV shows about cooking, and I always wondered about all the different ingredients, but I never considered it as a career option. The presentation opened my eyes to see this as an opportunity for a better future, so I applied.”

Each Umzi Wethu intake of up to 18 students begins with extensive interviews by a panel of programme coordinators. A short list is then compiled of prospective students, and the youth are then taken on an experiential learning trail (Imbewu trail) for four nights and three days.
“When I first went for the interview for Umzi Wethu, I was extremely nervous. It was a scary and intimidating experience, but I knew that I was well prepared. I did some research in advance, and learned about the organisation so that I was ready for the interview process.”
“The first trail was difficult, but enjoyable at the same time. It is very strange to be sleeping out in the wilderness with no shelter, just a sleeping bag, but it was a good way for us to meet the other students that we were going to be working and studying with for a whole year. It was also important for us to learn about nature because even though we were studying for the hospitality industry, a lot of hospitality jobs are in game reserves. Now we can identify various trees and animals in case a guest asks.”
Soso excelled at the academy, where his leadership skills were noted by all of his supervisors. His grandparents were able to join him at his graduation ceremony in 2009. “They are very proud of me,” says Soso, who is also an outstanding role model for his younger brother.
Following graduation, Soso was employed at the exclusive Shamwari Private Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape, and then went on to work in the Umzi Wethu Catering Unit. In late 2011, he was employed to head up the kitchen at the new Green Leaf Café on the Donkin Reserve in Port Elizabeth where his duties include meal preparation, menu design, stock control and food wastage control. The Green Leaf Café is an enterprise development initiative of the Wilderness Foundation, which aims to cultivate entrepreneurial skills in selected graduates.
One of Soso’s favourite food combinations is honey and mustard. “I love using a honey and mustard sauce on pasta, or a glaze on chicken. I never thought that I would be able to cook meals like this. I am privileged to have access to all of these amazing ingredients, and now I know what to do with them!”
“I am extremely grateful for my experience at Umzi Wethu. These days, learnerships are scarce. Where else can you get the opportunity to take part (for free!) in a one year course that offers you life experience, work experience, practical skills and a guaranteed job afterwards?”
In the future, Soso plans to continue to apply the skills he learned at the hospitality academy. “The future of our businesses depends on us now. We have been trained to run our own businesses, and I am confident that mine will succeed one day.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines