Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nozibele Adonisi - Umzi Wethu Success Story


Nozibele “Nozi” Adonisi sees Umzi Wethu as a stepping stone for skills development as well as personal development. “Through Umzi Wethu, we were encouraged to have future goals and to do something we’re interested in. It gave me the opportunities I needed to earn a living and to finance my studies. Without Umzi, I don’t know where I would be now.”
Nozi first heard about the Umzi Wethu programme through a job skills project running in the Motherwell Township in Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. She had always been interested in cooking and saw the Umzi Wethu Hospitality programme as an excellent opportunity to increase her knowledge and skills.

“I loved the Home Economics subject at school, but I was surprised that at Umzi Wethu, hospitality comes together with conservation! But I do think that the conservation side added to our experience. I learned to be conscious of animals, nature, rivers and to spend time alone in nature. On trail, we learned how to our handle ourselves. On the selection trail, I knew that our behaviour was being observed so I made sure that I did my best. It was the first time that I had ever slept outside in the bush, and I was very scared, but I knew that I was aiming for something bigger in my life. I pushed myself to do it and to overcome the fear.”
Nozi was selected as one of 20 students in 2010 and began her hospitality training. “The front of house training was very intimidating. I was so nervous serving customers. I didn’t want to make a mistake! But I pushed myself to give my best and to learn fast.” She used the opportunity to learn about different people and different cultures, and now uses these skills at the Green Leaf Café where she currently works.
“We get a lot of tourists at Green Leaf Café, and I like to treat them with extra special care because I am an ambassador for my country. Customers will get an impression of South Africa depending on how they are treated by us at Green Leaf Cafe, so I try to make sure they have a great experience.”
Nozi is saving the wages she earns at Green Leaf Café and the Umzi Wethu Catering Unit to further her studies. She is currently upgrading her maths and science results through PE College, and hopes to enter the medical field in the future. “I am looking into becoming a nutritionist, or even a forensic scientist!”
Nozi supports her mother and other members of her family. “My mom is very proud of me. She was very worried about what I would do after matric. In my community, most of the youth don’t have any resources for further studies, and they just sit around at home with nothing to do. Umzi allowed me to take a step out of this, and do something more. It built me up and changed my life.”
For future Umzi Wethu students, Nozi advises that they grab the opportunity with both hands. “Opportunities come and go. You never know if there will be another one. Use Umzi as a stepping stone, as something to brighten your future. Let Umzi help you, and at the end of the day you will thank them.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines