Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Nobesuthu “Suthu” Ndlovu - Umzi Wethu Success Story


Nobesuthu “Suthu” Ndlovu is using the wages she earns as a chef and waitress at Green Leaf Café and the Umzi Wethu Catering Unit to save up for further studies. Suthu would like to increase her skills in guest house management, or B&B management, but also has a dream that her business will have a positive social impact in the future. “I have a passion to help people. When I was younger I wanted to be a social worker. Now I’m going to use the skills that I learned at Umzi Wethu to build a business through which I can help people.”
After matric, Suthu, from Walmer Township in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, approached the Olive Leaf Foundation for assistance in getting a job, or further career training. The foundation referred her to an upcoming presentation by the Umzi Wethu hospitality academy, which she attended with interest. “Although I didn’t really see myself in the hospitality industry, I thought that it might be a good opportunity or stepping stone for my future,” says Suthu.

After being accepted as an Umzi Wethu hospitality student for 2010, Suthu had to adjust to a whole new environment. “I enjoyed living in the residence, but it took a while for me to get used to living with so many other people and so many different personalities. I was used to having my own space, or freedom to do my own things when I wanted. I actually started jogging as a way to create my own space, and be able to think clearly without the noise of the res all around me.”
Suthu also had to adjust to the demands of the hospitality industry. “At first it was difficult. You have to stand all day, and your time is never your own in this industry!” says Suthu. “But I learned to embrace it, and embrace the changes that it brought to my life.”
A highly creative person, Suthu brought her creativity to the classroom where she enjoyed experimenting with food presentation. “I love seeing the smile on a customer’s face when they receive a beautiful plate of food. “As a waiter, you’re not only there to give a customer their food. You’re also there to be their friend. Sometimes they might be having a terrible day, and just seeing you smile at them will help make a small change in their lives.”
She also used her experiences with customers to help build her self-confidence and people skills.
“As a waiter, you have to deal with different kinds of people with different personalities. Some customers will ‘look down’ on you and treat you badly without even taking the time to get to know who you are. Others will encourage you and have a positive influence on your life. I had to make an effort not to let the rude customers get me down. Working in this industry has groomed me to be a better person.”
Suthu recalls her experiences on the first Imbewu trail (a four day, three night hike in the wilderness which is part of the Umzi Wethu selection criteria) as being quite challenging, but also life changing.
On our first trail, I thought “why are we here, what are we doing out in the bush, I thought we were doing hospitality training! I didn’t get why we were just walking and sleeping. I thought it was totally pointless. The first time we had Solitaire (where we sit by ourselves for an hour in the bush at night), I was terrified. My mind was going crazy, turning the shadows of the trees into the shape of a bear! And all the noises were so scary. I had to tell my mind to calm down, so I prayed and sang a praise song to get control of my mind. It was then that I could really feel peace, and understand the value of that experience.”
“I also realised a lot of things about myself on the trails. I found myself always wanting to be at the front. Even though I was not enjoying all the walking, it felt much better to be at the front of the group than at the back. I realised that this is what I want in life too. I never want to be at the back. I also realised that there will be lots of highs and lows in life. I will be tired, but I will also overcome that and succeed in the end.”
As with many of the Umzi Wethu students, Suthu had had little experience of the wilderness in her lifetime. Growing up in Walmer Township, she had only ever seen mountains on TV.
“When we went on trail to Kabouga I got to see real mountains and I saw the true beauty of nature. When we went to Woody Cape, I saw a waterfall for the first time, and it was these experiences that will help me to be mindful of nature in the future.”
As well as saving up for further studies, Suthu also supports her mother and younger niece and nephew. "I am a role model to the younger kids in my family. I sometimes have to play the role of mother to them too. I hope that my life and my success can inspire them to build a better future for themselves one day.”
Suthu has plans to open her own butchery in the near future.

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines