Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Umzi Wethu Success Stories - Andiswa Sizani

Andiswa Sizani (24 years)
Umzi 1
Andiswa is the assistant shop manager at Shamwari as well as a waitress in the various lodges. Her responsibilities include counting stock and merchandising the other gift shops on the premises.
She has been working at Shamwari since she graduated from the first Umzi Wethu hospitality intake four years ago.
She started out as a waitress and bar tender, but worked her way up and was appointed as the trainer for new waitressing staff and bar tenders. She volunteered to work in the gift shop so that she could learn new skills and grow her knowledge of the industry.
“I have learned so much working at Shamwari,” says Andiswa. “I have learned about staff management, communicating, and how to deal with difficult guests. I definitely think that I have developed good people skills since being here.”
Andiswa first heard about the Umzi Wethu academy through LoveLife where she was involved as a volunteer in Port Elizabeth. “I am proud to be part of the first intake. It was a hectic year and we learned so much, but it was worth it. Umzi taught me how to be myself and be responsible for my life. I am able to support my brother and sister and be an inspiration to them.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines