Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Umzi Wethu Success Stories - Nomaxabiso Manto

Nomaxabiso Manto (23)
Umzi 6
From soccer star to game ranger, Nomaxabiso has come a long way in a short space of time. The 23 year old from Port Elizabeth was one of the rising stars of the Grassroot Soccer Programme, playing for her home town team, City Lads F.C. “Xabi” as she is affectionately called by her teammates is now part of the Shamwari soccer team – the only girl amongst the boys!
Xabi chose to change her career path on the advice of her sister. “My sister told me that I will not be able to be a soccer player for ever. When I’m 40 I will need something to fall back on. That is when I decided to apply for the Umzi Wethu conservation academy.”
Xabi had heard about the academy through Grassroot Soccer, but had never considered a career in conservation and wildlife before. “I will be honest. I never really had a passion for nature before I started at Umzi. Nature was just something that was ‘out there’ and I didn’t know anything about animals, bird or plants. The most experience that I had with nature was from 50/50 on TV!”
Following her acceptance into the Umzi Wethu conservation programme, Xabi began to connect with the wilderness, and developed a specific passion for birds. “When I first started, I didn’t know anything about any of the different birds, then one day I was out on trail and the guide made us stop and listen. To me, there was no noise, and everything was quiet until the guide said that we should be listening for the music that is everywhere. All of a sudden I realised that there were many different bird noises all around. Now when I go out into the wilderness I am in love with the beautiful music that the birds create.”
After graduating in 2010, Xabi began her internship at Shamwari Private Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape. She is currently undergoing the Shamwari induction training which includes a 4x4 driver’s course. “I am one out of four other women guides at Shamwari. There are 22 guys, so the ladies have to stick together!”
One of the things that Xabi enjoys the most about working at Shamwari is that she will be able to be both a ranger and a host to the various guests of the reserve.
“At Shamwari, the guests are assigned their own ranger for the duration of their stay. I’m looking forward to meeting people from all around the world and showing them our beautiful country.”
Although sceptical at first, Xabi’s family is inspired by her new career. “In the beginning they didn’t think that this was something that a girl should be doing. They were worried about me being at Shamwari because they have lions and other wild animals here! But I have been able to share my love of nature and birds with them, and they are slowly realising that this is very important to me, and are supporting my decisions.”
In the future, Xabi hopes to achieve her upper level Field Guides Association of Southern Africa (FGASA) qualification as well as her SKS in birding.

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines