Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Umzi Wethu Success Stories - Simphiwe Mantile

Simphiwe Mantile (26)
Umzi 1
Four years after graduating from the very first Umzi Wethu hospitality intake, Simphiwe Mantile is a proud homeowner, husband, father and junior sous chef at Shamwari Private Game Reserve.
The young achiever from Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape grew up cooking for his family at home, but didn’t consider a career as a chef until he heard about the Umzi Wethu programme.
“I approached the Ubuntu Education Fund for a scholarship after graduating matric, and they told me about this new programme that was starting which trained people for the hospitality industry. I decided to apply for the first intake,” says Simphiwe.
After completing the programme, he was one of the first graduates to be employed at Shamwari, and worked his way up from a junior commis chef to his current position as second-in-charge of the kitchen, or junior sous chef.
“My current responsibilities include being familiar with all of the kitchen activities, being able to prepare all of the different meals that we serve to guests, and managing the kitchen staff. I also have to make sure that the food and presentation is top quality,” says Simphiwe.
At Shamwari, staff stay on the premises and work shifts of 21 days on the reserve and 7 days off to visit family. For three years, Simphiwe worked these shifts and only went home to Port Elizabeth to visit his wife and child seven days out of every month.
“I really wished that my family could be closer so that I could see them more often,” says Simphiwe. “That is when I decided to buy a house in Patterson, which is just outside Shamwari Game Reserve. I chatted to the management at the reserve and they were very supportive of my idea. They even moved me to Long Lee Lodge which is closer to the Paterson exit. Now I can go home to my family every evening. In my family I am the highest achiever. I support my own wife and child as well as my brother and sister.”
Simphiwe believes that his experience at Umzi Wethu taught him more than just hospitality skills. “Umzi really helped me achieve financially, mentally and physically. Because of the wilderness trails that we went on, I was well prepared to work at a game reserve. I also understand the importance of wildlife and conservation, and teamwork.”
One of his favourite aspects of his job is to meet the Shamwari guests during the braais. “I love to chat to the foreign tourists and teach them about South African food. I have also learned a lot about other countries around the world.”
Simphiwe advises future Umzi students to take every opportunity that presents itself, and to use these opportunities as stepping stones to a better life. “Great opportunities usually only come once in a lifetime. It is up to us to take these further and build our own careers. Umzi Wethu is not just about hospitality and conservation. It opens up doors in many other industries too. As the youth of our country we need to make sure that we don’t give up on our dreams and vision for the future.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines