Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Umzi Wethu Success Stories - Ntobeko Ngcala

Ntobeko Ngcala (23)
Umzi 6
Ntobeko Ngcala is living his dream. Passionate about nature from a young age, “Ntobs” never considered that conservation could be a career until he heard about the Umzi Wethu programme. He was one of the volunteer guides for the Wilderness Foundation’s Pride of Groendaal project in the Eastern Cape, and was introduced to Umzi Wethu by experiential education manager, Lihle Mbokazi.
“I have always loved being in the bush. In nature you just feel different. It is a place of peace, and I am so happy to be in a career where I can share my passion,” says Ntobs.
When Ntobs first joined the Umzi Wethu conservation academy, his family thought he was crazy. “They said it is mad to run after lions, and that the wilderness is a place where the ancestors are, and they should be left in peace. They were not keen for me to be out in the bush!” However, his family has accepted his choice and are grateful for his financial support as he is the sole breadwinner for three members of his family including his mother, grandmother and brother.
After graduating from the academy in 2010, Ntobs joined Shamwari Game Reserve as a ranger. He loves meeting foreign tourists and taking them on game drives around the reserve. “At Shamwari, the guests are assigned a personal ranger for the duration of their stay, so I really get to know the visitors very well. I even join them for meals before the game drive. I have stayed in touch with some of them via Facebook and email, and they always ask for me to be their ranger when they return to Shamwari.”
According to Ntobs, American and German tourists love to see the “Big Five”. They are always eager to go on a game drive to spot the lions, buffalo, elephant, rhino and leopard. “It takes a lot of creativity when guests are staying over for a few days because they expect to have a different wilderness experience everyday. They don’t want to see the same animals they saw the day before! So I enjoy doing day and night drives, and I also take them to visit the Born Free Animal Rehab centre at Shamwari.”
Ntobs is continuing his conservation studies and is currently busy with his Trail Guide certification. He is also doing a management course through Intec College on his own initiative.
“I believe that having management skills is important for me to further my career. I don’t just want to know about conservation, I want to know about the whole business of conservation too.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines