Monday, January 30, 2012

Simphiwe Ngubane - a Conservation Academy Success Story

Simphiwe Ngubane (25), Umzi 2

Born in Johannesburg, Simphiwe Ngubane (25) never even dreamed of visiting the ocean, but at just 25 years old, he has built himself a successful career in marine coastal management at Addo Elephant Park.
After moving to the Eastern Cape and graduating from high school, Simphiwe didn’t know what career to go into. He approached his economics teacher for advice, and was referred to the Umzi Wethu programme. “I didn’t know anything about the programme, and I had no interest in nature at that time, but I’m very glad that I went for the interview,” says Simphiwe.

As part of the first conservation intake (Umzi 2), Simphiwe learned to love and respect nature and the people around him. He also grew as an individual and became more confident in himself and his abilities. “I remember that at Umzi we were punished for making silly mistakes, but it was good because after we got punished we didn’t want any more mistakes amongst our group, so we stopped each other from doing wrong. It was also at Umzi that I learned about team work. The people that I was with became a real family, and Umzi Wethu made me feel like I really belonged somewhere.”
After graduating from the Conservation Academy in 2009, Simphiwe was placed at Addo Elephant National Park as a marine ranger intern. “I then worked my way up to a permanent contract, and I am now a marine field ranger,” says Simphiwe. “I have learned so much. I know how to rehabilitate sea birds and I’ve learned how to drive big and small boats. I am often involved with the police in doing road blocks and marine coastal management (MCM), and doing house penetration for abalone. This is one of the most challenging parts of my job.”
After having little interest in nature and conservation as a child, Simphiwe has now developed a great love of the environment and particularly the ocean. “Through my work I get the opportunity to be up close and personal with the animals, which is the greatest feeling. Spending time out on the ocean with dolphins can really cheer me up.”
Through permanent employment, Simphiwe has been able to contribute towards the maintenance and repairs of the home he shares with his brother in Somerset East. He is also a mentor to his young orphaned nephew. “I’m playing father to him, and I’m glad that I can help him succeed through my example,” says Simphiwe. “Through Umzi Wethu I learned that I can achieve anything in life if I’m really determined. I would advise any new Umzi students to grab the opportunity with both hands because it only comes once in a lifetime. Through my experience at Umzi, I can now provide for myself, and have the things that I only dreamed of when I was a kid.”


No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines