Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Umzi Wethu Hospitality Graduate excels at SA Chefs Academy

Thembelani Wiseman Gunya (22) in centre with is commemorative graduation plate celebrates his achievement with his mother Mabel Yiliwe Gunya and sister, Somikazi Sonia Gunya at the official SA Chefs Graduation ceremony.
A young Umzi Wethu graduate from Uitenhage, Eastern Cape, has excelled at the SA Chefs Academy in Cape Town. Thembelani Wiseman Gunya (22) was the second Umzi Wethu graduate to receive a grant for further education at the SA Chefs Academy, where he spent a year under the mentorship of some of the finest chefs in the country.
After graduating matric in 2007, doing particularly well in maths and science, Thembelani went on to study mechanical engineering at a college in Uitenhage. However, he was not passionate about the course and due to financial constraints he started looking for other opportunities for further education.
He heard about the Umzi Wethu programme through a friend and decided to apply for it, although he did not know much about it.
“I had only ever cooked very simple meals at home and I was not very passionate about cooking or the environment,” says Thembelani. However, after being accepted into the course, “the bug bit” and he never looked back. “I absolutely loved learning about all the different kinds of foods out there and all of the different ways you can prepare a meal. It was exciting and creative. I also learned a lot about the environment through the Wilderness Foundation Imbewu trails, and I have learned to respect nature a lot.”
After graduating from the 5th intake at the Umzi Wethu academy in 2008, Thembelani worked for Lion Roars private game reserve in the Eastern Cape. “But after two years, I did not feel that I was being challenged in the kitchen any more. I knew that there was more out there, and I contacted Umzi Wethu to find out if they knew of any extra courses that I could do. I had been saving my money while working at the game reserve, but I knew that culinary courses were very expensive.”
In late 2009, the Umzi Wethu hospitality programme received a grant from a funder allowing for provision for a scholarship for further hospitality education in order to accelerate the career pathways of outstanding graduates. Through his excellence, persistence and drive for further development, Thembelani was the second Umzi Wethu graduate to be selected for the scholarship.
“Thembelani has always shown a high level of commitment to the Umzi Wethu programme and his work ethic has been outstanding. He excelled in his job as a commis chef at the Lion Roars game reserve which led to us nominating him for the scholarship to the SA Chefs Academy,” says Umzi Wethu Academy Manager, Paul Longe.
 “It was an indescribable experience,” says Thembelani. “I was most surprised by how much practical experience we had. Six hours every day was dedicated to prac, so I really learned a lot, even though it was extremely tiring sometimes!”
Thembelani also discovered a passion for pastries and parfait. “I had never heard of parfait before, but now it is one of my favourite things to make! We also experimented with making other frozen desserts like ice-cream. One of my best dishes was a curry with a side of chilli ice-cream. The tastes and textures and sensations were amazing.”
Graduation took place in Cape Town in December this year, and Thembelani was joined by his mother, sister and childhood friend to celebrate his achievement. “I was so honoured to have everyone come down and attend the graduation with me. My friend even saved the whole year just so that he could attend.”
Thembelani is now applying for various jobs in the hospitality industry, and is confident that he will run his own restaurant one day. “I want to add my own personality and ‘flavour’ to my food. I come from the Eastern Cape and I am proud of my heritage. I dream of having my own restaurant where I can create dishes made up of traditional and non-traditional ingredients, a truly rainbow nation cultural experience on one plate.”
The talented young chef acknowledges the role that the Umzi Wethu hospitality played in helping him develop and pursue a career.
“I am so grateful to have had my experience at Umzi Wethu. Without it, I would not be the person I am today. Not only did they do skills training, but the life skills training really changed me. I am much more confident than I ever was, and I feel like I can make a difference in this world. I am also grateful to have been taught by two of my chef heroes -Paul Hartmann and Garth Stroebel at the SA Chefs Academy. I hope to be like them one day.”
The Umzi Wethu team believes that Thembelani will achieve his goals in the future.
“His time at the SA Chefs Academy will no doubt take him a lot further in his chosen career and we are all excited to continue monitoring his development,” says Longe.

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines