Thursday, November 17, 2011

Umzi Wethu Success Stories - Harry Nkosinkulu

“I have learned that we never stop learning in life, and that we are all an integral part of nature, and nature is an integral part of us.”
Growing up in Grahamstown, South Africa Harry Nkosinkulu did not have much exposure to nature and never thought about pursuing conservation as a career until the Umzi Wethu academy made a presentation to the youth in his town.
“When I heard the presentation, I thought that this might be something that I could do,” says Harry.
Following his acceptance into the Umzi Wethu Conservation Academy, Harry began to become more and more interested in nature and the world around him. “Being more actively involved in conservation and eco-tourism has made me appreciate these things,” says Harry.
Although conservation is not a mainstream profession, Harry says his family supported his choice to pursue a career in this direction. “My family is happy for me and are very supportive because they know that this is something I am truly passionate about.”
Harry started working at Shamwari Private Game Reserve in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in February 2011 as a field guide. “I love interacting with different people on a regular basis. I also enjoy sharing my knowledge of nature, and learning new things everyday. I have learned that we never stop learning in life, and that we are all an integral part of nature, and nature is an integral part of us.”
Harry believes that Umzi Wethu helped give him the skills and opportunities he needed to pursue his dreams. “Without Umzi, I could have been in many possible places… poor, homeless, sick, travelling, loitering, unemployed. Umzi Wethu helped make me a non-stop achiever. I am a better person today because of the programme. There is so much that I have today that I wouldn’t have had without Umzi. Enkosi!”
Harry hopes to continue his studies, and pursue a career in teaching or training young people.  “Umzi has given me a means of income, so I am able to support my family as well as pursue my own dreams. Through my experience at Umzi, I have realised that it’s important for young people to develop a better attitude towards life. Nature is beautiful and very resourceful. We should nurture our natural heritage and preserve it for future generations to enjoy.”
For future Umzi Wethu students, Harry advises that a positive attitude is the key to success. “At Umzi there is a lot of learning to do and an opportunity to grow and shape your future career.  Every day at Umzi is not always easy, yet it is a privilege and a rewarding opportunity to be part of this incredible programme.”

No comments:

The Wilderness Foundation UK - Headlines

WILD's Blog - Headlines